It's GO! time!
Welcome to the 2016 Cardboard Warrior Forum Papercuts Showcase Competition!
Please note that there has been one major change to the rules at the last minute; There is NO MAXIMUM NUMBER OF PICTURES FOR ENTRIES. Instead there is a minimum of one, that I'm calling your "A" picture that will be used in the final voting threads. After you post your "A" picture post as many pictures from as many different angles as you like. Real pictures, not renders, only please.
How to play: Make stuff out of paper, take a picture, start a thread in the appropriate part of the Papercuts Showcase boards. Please note that these threads are not intended to be development or work in progress threads, final submissions only in the Papercuts section. Feel free to create a development or work in progress thread elsewhere so people can follow along with your creation process.
Post your picture and a download (if a design entry) of the model or miniature.
Discuss and enjoy.
Entries submitted in previous Papercuts are not acceptable.
Forum Hoard submissions that have not been entered into a previous Papercuts competition are acceptable.
Items that have been previously released as a commercial item are not eligible as a design submission.
The submission deadline for this year is August 31st, 2016.
There will be seven categories for submission:
1) Best Single Figure - The design must be original*. One picture minimum to show off your work, download required.
2) Best Multi-figure - A group of figures. All figures must be original design*. One picture minimum to show off your work, download required.
3) Best Model kit - 3D terrain, vehicle, building- what have you, a multi-piece kit. Original designs only*. One picture minimum to show off your work, download required.
4) Best Tileset - Flat, two-dimensional maps with grids or no grids of any size or quantity. Original designs only*. One picture minimum to show off your work, download required.
5) Print-n-Play - Original game rules design that must include, or provide links to, free game pieces suitable for your rule set. Prior Forum Hoards or MMiP archive items are ideal for this if you do not wish to create/include pieces of your own creation. A picture of a game in progress or a something that resembles cover art would be an acceptable picture for this categories entries. One picture minimum and download of rules required.
Bear in mind that once they are uploaded here I will be gathering the submissions and creating a downloads gallery at onemonk.com just like I do for the Hoard submissions. So putting up an entry for a limited time download just to be an entry then removing the download post-showcase would not be acceptable.
6) Papercraft in Action - A diorama** scenic category. Models and miniatures can be from any published or original source. Papercraft must feature prominently in this categories entries, but can also feature elements from other mediums; metal or resin minis and models for example. One picture minimum to show off your work, no download required.
7) Hot Rod and Kit-bashers - A papercraft diorama** scenic category, but with a personal twist. This category is to highlight how you improved, modified, or mangled someone’s work. There are many examples in this forum of users modifying a designers work. One picture minimum to show off your work, no download required.
8) BEST IN SHOW - The one entry that says Papercuts 2016 to you. This category will be assembled from the winning entries in the other categories.
One entry per participant per category.
*Original design; Re-skinning someone else's model with original textures doesn't work, that belongs in the kit-bashers category. You can pull textures and modify them for use from sites like www.cgtextures.com/ as long as you give credit; "Some textures in this model were used with permission from www.cgtextures.com/"
Peeling somebody else's texture work off of a finished model also wouldn't count as original work.
** The emphasis of the diorama categories should be on how well you built your pieces and presented them.
Be sure to include information on your model and miniature sources. For example; Miniatures by Okumarts and Squirmydad, models by Squirmydad and Worldworks Games, ground tiles by Fat Dragon Games. No download required and the diorama does not have to be made up of pieces that you personally designed.
Prizes will be in the form of gift-certificates to One Book Shelf.
The prize amounts are as follows;
Single Figure Design
Papercraft in Action Builders
Best in Show: $40.00
*In Addition Brave Adventures will be offering $6 in credit for their website to all participants in this year’s competition. After final judging, Brave Adventures will give 600 points ($6 credit) to all participants with accounts at www.braveadventures.com.
Design submissions will be in the form of photographs of your figures, models, and tilesets as well as a free download of the entry. I recommend services such as Dropbox for the download and for the image hosting. Create a new submission in the appropriate forum category between now and the deadline; 08/31/2016.
Builder submissions will be in the form of photographs of your figures and models, no download required. I recommend services such as Dropbox for the download and for the image hosting. Create a new submission in the appropriate forum category between now and the deadline; 08/31/2016.
Judging will be determined 100% by forum member voting.
Photography is a factor due to the fact that if we can't see it well, it will affect the scoring. Modifying the presentation image for lighting and sharpness is acceptable, just don't add embellishments to the presentation picture that are not present in the finished model or miniature. Likewise make sure it is easy to download your model or miniature design submission.
Rules of entry subject to change, but hopefully not. Check back periodically for updates. Have fun with creating your submissions, and Good Luck!